This lesson includes 13 additional questions for subscribers.
Lesson Worksheet: The Preparation and Physical Properties of Oxygen Science
In this worksheet, we will practice preparing oxygen from the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide and describing rusting as a disadvantage of atmospheric oxygen.
Which of the following statements about rusting is true?
- AIt is not formed in the presence of oxygen.
- BIt can cause damage to tools and structures made of iron.
- CIt can happen to all metals.
Oxygen gas can be prepared in the following reaction:
What is the catalyst in this reaction?
- AOxygen gas
- BHydrogen peroxide
- CManganese dioxide
Oxygen gas is produced when hydrogen peroxide decomposes in the presence of a catalyst. What is a catalyst?
- AA substance whose quantity and structure do not change during a chemical reaction
- BA substance that is used up during a chemical reaction
- CA substance whose quantity changes during a chemical reaction
Fill in the blanks: Rusting occurs when iron is in the presence of oxygen and . Unlike combustion, rusting is a oxidation process.
- Ahydrogen, slow
- Bozone, fast
- Cwater, fast
- Dwater, slow
How can the formation of rust be avoided?
- ABy leaving the iron outside
- BBy soaking the iron in water
- CBy coating the iron with paint
A class took some iron nails and left them in a humid environment for three days. A reddish-brown substance formed on them.
What is the name of the substance formed?
- BHydrogen peroxide
A class set up an experiment to prepare oxygen from hydrogen peroxide.
In what state of matter is the oxygen that forms?
- ASolid state
- BGaseous state
- CLiquid state
A class set up an experiment to prepare gaseous oxygen from hydrogen peroxide.
Why does the oxygen gas formed collect at the top of the cylinder?
- AOxygen dissolves easily in water
- BOxygen is heavier than water
- COnly a small amount of oxygen dissolves in water
Michael and Hannah are talking about the oxygen produced when hydrogen peroxide decomposes.
Who is correct?
- CThey are both correct.
- DThey are both incorrect.
Which reaction shows how to make oxygen in a laboratory?