In this worksheet, we will practice describing and explaining trends in reactivity across periods and down groups in the periodic table.
Complete the sentence: It is safer to inflate balloons with helium than hydrogen because helium displays a higher .
- Anuclear binding energy
- Belectron affinity
- Cboiling point
- Dionization energy
- Eenthalpy of combustion
Group II metals show differing reactivity with water, depending on their position within the Periodic Table. Explain the trend in reactivity between beryllium and barium.
- AThe smaller metal atoms have a greater attraction to the lone pairs of the oxygen atom in water.
- BThe electronegativity increases with additional electron shells.
- CThe presence of d-orbital electrons in the larger metal atoms allows for decreased water reactivity.
- DThe electrons of the larger metal atoms are farther from the nucleus and easier to remove.
Nitrogen is similar to carbon and oxygen (adjacent 2nd row elements) in what unique way?
- AIt can form three bonds to other atoms in a neutral molecule.
- BAll three have two electrons in the 1s orbital.
- CIt has a pair of electrons in a non-bonding sp3 orbital.
- DThe outer shell s- and p-orbitals of nitrogen can be hybridized to form four sp3 orbitals that form a tetrahedron.