Lesson Plan: Scientific Notation Mathematics • 8th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to express numbers in scientific notation and how to convert numbers between their normal and scientific forms.
Students will be able to
- identify a number given in scientific notation,
- write a normal number in scientific notation,
- compare numbers in scientific notation to find an unknown,
- order a list of numbers given in scientific notation from least to greatest,
- use scientific notation to represent quantities in real-world situations.
Students should already be familiar with
- integer powers and exponents.
Students will not cover
- number operations in scientific notation,
- roots and fractional exponents.