Lesson Plan: Converting between Metric Units Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to convert between measurements of length, mass, and capacity in metric units with the prefixes milli-, centi-, deci-, deka-, hecto-, and kilo-.
Students will be able to
- multiply and divide by 10, 100, and 1,000 to convert between units,
- recognize the relationship between the metric system and place value,
- convert between fractions, decimals, and whole numbers up to one million, recognizing whether the units are being converted to a larger or smaller unit,
- use inequality symbols to compare measurements with different units.
Students should already be familiar with
- converting metric units of length, mass, and capacity by breaking apart the number,
- using their understanding of tenths, hundredths, and thousandths to convert between units.
Students will not cover
- multiplying or dividing decimals.