Lesson Plan: Air Resistance Science • 4th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to define air resistance and describe factors that affect it.
Students will be able to
- describe air resistance as a type of frictional force that slows down objects that move in air,
- identify that air resistance depends on the surface area, shape, and speed of an object,
- describe ways in which air resistance can be increased and decreased.
Students should already be familiar with
- the idea that friction is a force that acts between surfaces,
- using force diagrams to represent the directions and relative sizes of forces.
Students will not cover
- water resistance,
- why air resistance depends on the speed of an object.