Lesson Plan: Addition and Subtraction of Algebraic Expressions Mathematics • 7th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to add and subtract algebraic expressions by adding and subtracting like terms.
Students will be able to
- form an addition or subtraction expression to represent a given word problem,
- combine like terms while adding or subtracting algebraic expressions to simplify them,
- solve problems that involve the addition or subtraction of two or more algebraic expressions by using the horizontal method and by using the vertical method,
- add or subtract algebraic expressions to solve geometric problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- combining like terms,
- multiplying monomials,
- dividing monomials.
Students will not cover
- adding and subtracting algebraic equations,
- the multiplication and division of polynomials,