Lesson Plan: Constructing Circles Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to construct circles given one, two, or three points.
Students will be able to
- construct a circle through one point,
- construct a circle through two points,
- recognize that infinitely many circles can be drawn through one or two points,
- recognize that all of the circles drawn through a single point, say , with equal radii lie on a congruent circle whose center is ,
- recognize that two circles cannot have more than two points of intersection (unless they are coincident) and that the smallest circle passing through two points, and , will have a radius of length ,
- recognize that a circle is defined by three points,
- construct a circle through three given points and be familiar with circumcircles and how they can be constructed.
Students should already be familiar with
- constructing triangles.
Students will not cover
- the relationship between chords and circles,
- circle theorems.