Lesson Plan: Vertical Subtraction Mathematics • 1st Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to solve subtraction problems presented vertically with numbers up to 10.
Students will be able to
- match images and vertical subtraction calculations involving numbers up to 10,
- solve subtraction problems presented vertically,
- understand that subtraction number sentences can be presented horizontally or vertically,
- solve simple subtraction word problems using vertical subtraction and models.
Students should already be familiar with
- subtracting numbers up to 10 with a horizontal layout,
- using manipulatives and images to subtract numbers and find the amount left over,
- subtracting by counting back,
- solving subtraction word problems.
Students will not cover
- subtracting with numbers over 10,
- subtracting using number lines,
- subtracting zero or all of an amount to leave zero.