Lesson Plan: Rusting Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to explain the conditions necessary for rusting and learn how to write balanced equations for the key reactions involved.
Students will be able to
- construct and analyze word and symbol equations for rusting,
- list the conditions which cause rusting to occur,
- interpret experimental results to describe the effects of different conditions on rusting,
- describe the negative effects of rusting.
Students should already be familiar with
- oxidation and reduction.
Students will not cover
- corrosion of metals other than iron,
- methods of corrosion prevention such as sacrificial protection or galvanization.