Lesson Plan: Plant Defenses Against Pathogens Biology
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe plant structures that limit the entry of pathogens and different plant adaptations that limit the damage caused by infection.
Students will be able to
- state the causes of disease and death in plants,
- describe the structural features that limit the entry of pathogens to the plant,
- describe structural adaptations that prevent the spread of infection in a plant,
- describe chemical methods that limit the damage caused by plant pathogens.
Students should already be familiar with
- plant structure (cells, tissues, and organs),
- plants as producers in an ecosystem,
- disease-causing organisms.
Students will not cover
- detailed, specific examples of plant diseases and their associated pathogens.