Lesson Plan: Communication and Information Science • 4th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to identify ways people communicated in the past and describe how waves are currently used to communicate and send information.
Students will be able to
- describe the different ways humans communicated before electricity, including telegraphs, radios, and sonar,
- describe how modern communication devices work, including telephones, cell phones, and communication satellites,
- identify the parts of a radio, including the transmitter, antenna, and receiver, and their functions,
- understand the difference between digital and analogue signals,
- describe how computers and phones send information using binary code, pixels, and coding.
Students should already be familiar with
- the properties of waves,
- the types of waves,
- the electromagnetic spectrum.