Lesson Plan: Semiconductors Physics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe the properties of semiconductor materials and describe how diodes are constructed.
Students will be able to
- state what a semiconductor is,
- state how the resistance of common pure semiconductors changes with temperature,
- recall which elements are pure semiconductors,
- state what doping is,
- state what a p-type semiconductor is,
- state what an n-type semiconductor is,
- recall some elements that can be used as dopants for p-type and n-type semiconductors,
- state what a p–n junction is,
- recall that diodes are p–n junctions.
Students should already be familiar with
- the electric current and resistance,
- how diodes function within circuits,
- conductors and insulators.
Students will not cover
- the band theory,
- any calculations of the properties of semiconductors, electrons, or electric currents.