Lesson Plan: Direction of 3D Vectors
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find unit vectors in the direction of a given 3D vector and how to calculate the angles formed by 3D vectors.
Students will be able to
- find a unit vector in the same direction of a given 3D vector,
- find the angle between a 3D vector and a coordinate axis,
- find angles between 3D vectors using a right triangle,
- find angles between 3D vectors using the law of cosine,
- find the angle between a 3D vector and a coordinate plane.
Students should already be familiar with
- 3D vectors as column vectors or in terms of ,
- magnitude of a 3D vector,
- vector addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication,
- right triangle trigonometry,
- the law of cosine,
- inverse trigonometric functions.
Students will not cover
- dot products,
- cross products.