Lesson Plan: Word Problems: Adding Three Numbers
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to solve word problems involving the addition of three whole numbers with sums up to 20.
Students will be able to
- read and interpret a word problem involving the addition of 3 numbers,
- write an equation to represent a word problem involving the addition of 3 numbers,
- solve a word problem by choosing an appropriate strategy to add three numbers in any order,
- find a missing addend to solve a word problem where three numbers are added.
Students should already be familiar with
- adding three numbers in any order,
- choosing strategies to add numbers with sums up to 20.
Students will not cover
- additions with a total greater than 20,
- adding more than three numbers.