Lesson Plan: Second Derivatives of Parametric Equations Mathematics • Higher Education
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find second derivatives and higher-order derivatives of parametric equations by applying the chain rule.
Students will be able to
- find the second derivatives of parametric equations,
- evaluate the second derivative of a pair of parametric equations at a given point.
Students should already be familiar with
- differentiating polynomial, rational, trigonometric, logarithmic, and exponential functions,
- implicit differentiation,
- the chain, product, and quotient rules of differentiation,
- finding the first derivative of parametric equations.
Students will not cover
- finding higher-order derivatives of parametric equations.