Lesson Plan: Volumes of Cylinders Mathematics • 8th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate volumes of cylinders and solve problems including real-life situations.
Students will be able to
- calculate the volume of a cylinder using its height and radius (or diameter),
- calculate the height or radius of a cylinder given its volume and one of the two other measurements,
- solve real-life problems involving the volume of cylinders,
- compare cylinders with each other and with cubes and cuboids.
Students should already be familiar with
- circles and calculating their circumferences and areas,
- real numbers and operations on them.
Students will not cover
- surface areas of cylinders,
- the volume and surface area of a sphere.