Lesson Plan: Definitions and Functions of Philosophy Philosophy
This lesson plan includes the objectives of the lesson teaching students how to recognize two different ways of defining philosophy and distinguish between three functions of philosophical thinking.
Students will be able to
- explain the etymology of the term philosophy,
- explain the meaning of philosophy,
- recognize the first way of defining philosophy, that is, as the mother of all sciences and the search for fundamental explanations of the world,
- recognize the second way of defining philosophy, that is, as the investigation of the meaning of life and how to live,
- recognize the relationship between philosophy and its cultural context,
- recognize the comprehensive character of philosophical investigation,
- distinguish three functions of philosophy: explaining the world, changing society, and anticipating the future.