Lesson Plan: Properties of Alkanes Chemistry • 7th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to write and interpret the names and formulas of alkanes and describe trends in physical properties.
Students will be able to
- use naming techniques to name simple branched alkanes and cycloalkanes to correctly identify different organic molecules,
- define and compare the general formulas for an alkane and a cycloalkane,
- describe the bonding in alkanes in order to explain the concept of saturation with respect to hydrocarbons,
- describe trends within the physical properties of alkanes,
- identify and list potential sources and uses of hydrocarbons.
Students will not cover
- the reactions of alkanes in the process of fractional distillation.