Lesson Plan: Modeling Variables with Bar Models: Numbers up to 100,000 Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to solve story problems up to 100,000 using bar models and letters to represent unknown quantities in equations.
Students will be able to
- draw bar models for one-step addition and subtraction word problems,
- write equations for one-step word problems,
- recognize that letters can be used to represent unknown quantities in equations,
- solve equations that include variables,
- write story problems with unknowns.
Students should already be familiar with
- adding and subtracting numbers up to 1,000,000.
Students will not cover
- solving two-step word problems using bar models,
- solving multiplication and division problems using bar models.