Lesson Plan: Physical Properties of Transition Metals Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe and compare the physical properties of transition metals.
Students will be able to
- explain the physical properties and trends in transition metals including melting point and density,
- compare the physical properties of transition metals to adjacent s-block metals,
- link understanding of the physical properties to the electronic configuration of specific transition metals.
Students should already be familiar with
- atomic structure and electronic configurations of transition metals,
- general properties of metals.
Students will not cover
- exceptions to trends in physical properties in period 5 or beyond.