Lesson Plan: Extinction Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to define extinction, recall why species may go extinct, and explain the impact extinction can have on ecosystems and biodiversity.
Students will be able to
- define extinction as the dying out of all the living members of a species,
- recall reasons a species may go extinct, including natural disasters and man-made causes,
- understand the impact of extinction on decreasing biodiversity,
- outline methods that can be used to prevent extinction of species, including having protected areas, conservation legislation, and gene banks.
Students should already be familiar with
- the concept that a species is a group of similar organisms.
Students will not cover
- the details of mass extinction events.