Lesson Plan: Completing Function Tables Mathematics • 6th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to complete function tables.
Students will be able to
- fill in missing outputs when given
- the inputs and the function rule in the form of a function machine,
- the inputs and a worded description of the function rule,
- the inputs and some outputs, without the function rule,
- work out the function rule from a set of inputs and outputs given in a function table,
- fill in missing inputs when given
- the function rule and the outputs given in a function table,
- the outputs and some inputs, without the function rule,
- solve more complex problems, such as filling in a missing output in a function table for a two-step function and completing a function table taken from a real-world context.
Students should already be familiar with
- simple function machines described without reference to algebraic or function notation,
- the four basic operations on numbers,
- negative integers.
Students will not cover
- algebraic notation,
- function notation,
- rational numbers.