Lesson Plan: Growth Biology
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe cell growth and differentiation in organisms, recall examples of differentiated cells, and interpret percentile charts.
Students will be able to
- explain the importance of cell growth and differentiation,
- describe cell division and differentiation in animals,
- describe cell division, elongation, and differentiation in plants,
- compare cell differentiation of plant and animal cells,
- calculate growth using percentage change calculations,
- interpret percentile charts as a measurement and monitoring tool of growth.
Students should already be familiar with
- the concepts of cell division and mitosis,
- differences between plant and animal cells.
Students will not cover
- detailed examples of specialized cells,
- how plant hormones like auxin influence cell elongation in plants,
- details about where stem cells are found and their function in plants and animals.