Lesson Plan: The Mean of a Data Set Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the arithmetic mean of a data set.
Students will be able to
- recognize that the arithmetic mean is one of the measures of central tendency,
- calculate the mean for a data set,
- calculate the mean for data given in a table or bar graph,
- find an unknown value in a data set if given the value of its mean.
Students should already be familiar with
- types of data, collecting data, and data sets,
- representing data using simple bars and charts.
Students will not cover
- other measures of central tendency, namely median and mode,
- the mean of grouped data.