Lesson Plan: Preventing Floods Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to identify methods used to prevent flooding, analyze ways technology can help prevent and deal with floods, and describe how to use the design process to create an effective flood barrier.
Students will be able to
- identify impacts flooding has on the community (the people or environment),
- identify and describe methods used to prevent flooding,
- compare and contrast the advantages and disadvantages of flood prevention methods,
- describe how technology can help prevent and deal with floods,
- describe how to create an effective flood barrier using the design process.
Students should already be familiar with
- natural disasters, such as floods and droughts,
- the engineering design process.
Students will not cover
- safety precautions related to floods.