Lesson Plan: Operations on Events: Difference Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the probability of the difference of two events.
Students will be able to
- understand and use notation for the difference between two sets ,
- understand the difference rule for probability:
- use the difference rule and other rules for operations on events to calculate probabilities involving the difference between two events (including their complement),
- use the difference rule along with other operations on events to solve problems in context.
Students should already be familiar with
- the probability of simple events,
- dealing with fractions and percentages,
- operations on the complement, intersection, and union of events.
Students will not cover
- the probability of compound events,
- conditional probability,
- Bayes’ theorem.