Lesson Plan: Prime Factorization Mathematics • 6th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use different strategies, such as repeated division and the factor tree, to find prime factorization.
Students will be able to
- factorize two- and three-digit numbers into their prime factors,
- use repeated division and factor trees to find prime factorization.
Students should already be familiar with
- the concept of prime numbers,
- multiplication facts up to and related facts based on these,
- identifying factors of numbers.
Students will not cover
- simplifying a prime factorization by writing it using exponents (for example, writing as ).