Lesson Plan: Solving a Trigonometric Equation Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to solve a trigonometric equation using factoring or squaring.
Students will be able to
- recall that dividing through by a term involving a variable could result in the loss of solutions,
- find the solution set, or general solution of trigonometric equations, over a specified range using factoring or squaring; this includes using substitution to transform a trigonometric equation into a quadratic equation and solving using standard methods.
Students should already be familiar with
- the periodicity of trigonometric equations,
- solving simple trigonometric equations.
Students will not cover
- double- or half-angle identities.