Lesson Plan: Black Holes
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the Schwarzschild radius of a black hole and identify features of black holes.
Students will be able to
- describe what a singularity is,
- describe what the event horizon of a black hole is,
- use in different permutations to calculate the Schwarzschild radius of a black hole or its mass,
- describe what an accretion disc is,
- identify an accretion disc and a corona on a diagram showing a black hole.
Students should already be familiar with
- stellar evolution and supernovae.
Students will not cover
- general relativity,
- quantum mechanics of black holes,
- quantum gravity,
- gravitational waves,
- calculations of the bending of light near massive objects,
- white holes.