Lesson Plan: The Past Simple and the Past Continuous English
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use the past simple and the past continuous to talk about ecotourism and holidays.
Students will be able to
- practise the past simple to talk about completed actions in the past,
- use the past continuous to talk about an action that occured in the past for a certain period of time,
- use the past simple with the past continuous to show a shorter action being interrupted by a longer action,
- use conjunctions (e.g., while, as, and when), prepositions (e.g., during), and adverbs (e.g., just) with the past simple and the past continuous,
- understand that stative verbs are not used in the continuous tense.
Students should already be familiar with
- irregular verbs,
- the past simple,
- the present continuous.
Students will not cover
- passive forms.