Lesson Plan: 3D Shapes in the Real World Mathematics • Kindergarten
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to recognize 3D shapes in real-world objects and use the names of 3D objects to describe them.
Students will be able to
- name individual three-dimensional shapes, solids, represented by real-life objects,
- identify individual three-dimensional shapes found in real-life objects in various sizes, colors, and orientations,
- identify the three-dimensional shapes that could combine to make a real-life object.
Students should already be familiar with
- classifying a shape as 2D or 3D,
- naming 2D shapes and how they correspond with the faces of 3D shapes.
Students will not cover
- composing 3D shapes with sets of 2D shapes or basic nets,
- the terms vertices, edges, and faces.