Lesson Plan: The 𝑛th Term of a Sequence Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the 𝑛th term of a sequence and how to use the 𝑛th term to work out terms in the sequence.
Students will be able to
- find the term for a given sequence of numbers or patterns,
- using an term rule to work out terms of a sequence,
- solve more complex problems, such as using term rules with negative answers or finding term rules from word problems with a real-world context.
Students should already be familiar with
- number sequences,
- the four basic operations on numbers,
- negative numbers.
Students will not cover
- terminologies such as “arithmetic sequence,” “geometric sequence,” or “harmonic sequence,”
- recursive formulas.