Lesson Plan: Area of Circular Segments: Degrees Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to find the area of a circular segment where angles are measured in degrees.
Students will be able to
- derive and recall that the formula for the area of a circular segment with radius given an angle measure in degrees, , is ,
- calculate the areas of major and minor segments given a radius and the measure of an arc in degrees,
- solve multistep problems to find the areas of segments given, for instance, the area of a sector and the radius of the circle,
- solve word problems that involve calculating areas of circular segments.
Students should already be familiar with
- what is meant by a circular segment,
- calculating areas of sectors,
- calculating the area of a triangle using the formula .
Students will not cover
- areas of circular segments where angles are measured in radians.