Lesson Plan: Area of a Parallelogram Mathematics • 6th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the area of a parallelogram and solve word problems requiring the areas of parallelogram-shaped figures.
Students will be able to
- use models to show how the area of a parallelogram is related to the area of a rectangle,
- identify the base and height of parallelograms,
- state the formula for the area of a parallelogram as area = base height,
- use the area to find the base length or height of a parallelogram.
Students should already be familiar with
- finding the area of rectangles,
- finding the area of triangles,
- perpendicular and parallel lines,
- finding the perimeters of shapes.
Students will not cover
- unit conversion,
- multiplying mixed numbers,
- multiplying decimals,
- area of composite shapes.