Lesson Plan: Word Problems: Unit Conversion Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to solve word problems by converting between metric units of length, mass, capacity, or time.
Students will be able to
- model word problems and determine which operation to use,
- solve one-step word problems with measures,
- solve two-step word problems with measures,
- use known conversions of measures to rename measures when solving problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- mixed measures,
- converting between units of length, mass, capacity, and time.
Students will not cover
- decimals and fractions.