Lesson Plan: The Faraday Constant Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to use the Faraday constant to calculate the mass or volume of substances liberated during electrolysis.
Students will be able to
- explain the relationship between charge, current, and time,
- link electricity and simple electrical laws to the Avogadro constant,
- explain the Faraday constant in terms of the Avogadro constant and the charge on one electron,
- use the quantity of charge passed to calculate the mass or volume of substance liberated.
Students should already be familiar with
- simple electrolysis and the workings of a typical electrolytic cell.