Lesson Plan: Column Addition of Numbers up to 10,000: No Regrouping Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use the column method to add numbers with up to four digits when we do not need to regroup.
Students will be able to
- model addition of a four-digit number to a four-digit number without regrouping,
- use the column method to add four-digit numbers without regrouping,
- identify errors in solutions and explain the mistake that was made.
Students should already be familiar with
- using the column method with two-digit and three-digit numbers.
Students will not cover
- regrouping when adding four-digit numbers.