Lesson Plan: Choosing Strategies to Subtract
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use different strategies to subtract two numbers within 20 and choose which strategy is the best.
Students will be able to
- select the most appropriate strategy to subtract two numbers within 20 mentally,
- compare and use different mental arithmetic strategies,
- apply mental arithmetic strategies to solve subtraction story problems.
Students should already be familiar with
- reading and writing numbers up to 20,
- reading subtraction sentences both vertically and horizontally,
- subtracting numbers within 20 by counting on and counting back,
- subtracting two numbers by making ten,
- using double facts to subtract.
Students will not cover
- subtracting numbers on a number line.