Lesson Plan: Average Value of a Function Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use the mean value theorem for integrals to find the average value of a function.
Students will be able to
- express the average value of a function using a definite integral,
- calculate average values of functions graphically,
- calculate average values of functions using integration.
Students should already be familiar with
- the fundamental theorem of calculus,
- integration of polynomial functions,
- integration by substitution.
Students will not cover
- calculating the area between a curve and a line that is not the .