Lesson Plan: Logarithmic Differentiation Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives and prerequisites of the lesson teaching students how to find the derivatives of positive functions by taking the natural logarithm of both sides before differentiating.
Students will be able to
- identify when we can use logarithmic differentiation in order to find the differential of a function,
- manipulate a function using logarithms in order to make it easier to differentiate,
- use logarithmic differentiation to differentiate complicated functions involving products, quotients, and exponents.
Students should already be familiar with
- the laws of logarithms,
- differentiating polynomial, trigonometric, exponential, logarithmic, rational, and radical functions,
- the product, quotient, and chain rules for differentiation,
- implicit differentiation.