Lesson Plan: Prime Factorization with Exponents Mathematics • 6th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use different strategies to find prime factorization using exponents.
Students will be able to
- identify the prime factors of a number,
- identify the number that results in a product of prime factors and understand that this result is unique,
- find the prime factorization of a number using a factor tree (for smaller numbers),
- find the prime factorization of a number by dividing by primes (for larger numbers).
Students should already be familiar with
- factors and multiples,
- prime numbers,
Students will not cover
- using prime factorization to identify HCF or LCM.