Lesson Plan: Solving Linear Equations over the Real Numbers Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to solve linear equations over the real numbers and represent their solutions on a number line.
Students will be able to
- solve two-step equations that result in rational solutions and represent their solutions on a number line,
- solve one- and two-step equations whose coefficients contain radicals and represent their solutions on a number line,
- solve equations that require initial simplification with real number solutions.
Students should already be familiar with
- operations with radicals,
- solving one-step equations and simple two-step equations over the rational numbers,
- rationalizing the denominator by multiplying both the numerator and the denominator by a square root.
Students will not cover
- equations where the variable appears on both sides of the equation,
- nonlinear equations.