Lesson Plan: Potential Energy Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to determine the potential energy of an object due to the gravitational force acting on it.
Students will be able to
- recognize that potential energy is associated with height above Earth,
- use the formula potential energy mass acceleration due to gravity height,
- use the formula weight mass acceleration due to gravity.
Students should already be familiar with
- the qualitative transfer of kinetic energy to and from gravitational potential energy,
- the fact that gravity accelerates objects.
Students will not cover
- variation of acceleration due to gravity with height,
- negative values of energy,
- calculations of transfers between gravitational potential energy and other energy categories,
- rearrangement of the formula potential energy mass acceleration due to gravity height.