Lesson Plan: Percentage Composition Chemistry • 10th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to calculate the percentage composition of a substance using chemical formulas or the masses of constituent elements.
Students will be able to
- recall the definition of the atomic mass of elements,
- recall how to calculate the formula mass of a compound,
- identify the relevant mathematical formula for expressing the mass of a component as a percentage of the total mass,
- calculate the percentage composition of a compound based on its elemental masses,
- calculate the percentage by mass of a compound within a substance.
Students should already be familiar with
- formula mass,
- chemical formulas.
Students will not cover
- reaction masses.