Lesson Plan: Transition Metals Chemistry
This lesson plan includes the objectives of the lesson teaching students how to describe the compounds and reactivities of transition metals and trends in their physical and chemical properties.
Students will be able to
- use knowledge of the periodic table to locate the position of the d block and the transition metals,
- describe the general physical properties of common transition metals in order to compare the properties to other metals in groups 1 and 2,
- give examples of common colored ions or compounds formed from transition metal elements,
- deduce the oxidation state of transition metals to correctly write the correct formula for different d-block compounds,
- give examples of common uses of transition metals including common catalysts used in industry.