Lesson Plan: Graphs of Polynomial Functions Mathematics • 10th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to graph quartic functions written in factored form and identify where they cross the axes.
Students will be able to
- identify the graph of a factored quartic function, in particular
- where the function crosses the (by identifying the roots),
- where the function crosses the (by setting ),
- the behavior of the function as it tends to positive or negative infinity,
- identify a quartic function given its graph,
- fully factor a partially factored quartic function and identify its graph.
Students should already be familiar with
- finding the roots of a polynomial equation from its factored form,
- factoring quadratic functions,
- graphs of quadratic and cubic functions.
Students will not cover
- graphs of polynomial functions of order higher than five.