Lesson Plan: Multiplying Decimals: Area Models Mathematics • 5th Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use an area model to find the product of decimals with one decimal place.
Students will be able to
- draw area models to represent decimals,
- combine two area models to solve multiplication problems involving decimals,
- multiply two decimals together (both written to one decimal place) using an area model.
Students should already be familiar with
- multiplication facts up to ,
- reading and writing decimals with one decimal place,
- using area models to model the multiplication of fractions.
Students will not cover
- multiplying decimals with more than one decimal place,
- multiplying whole numbers by decimals.