Lesson Plan: Sampling Methods Mathematics
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to sample using different sampling methods such as simple random, systematic, and stratified sampling.
Students will be able to
- apply the simple random sampling method on a frame by using random numbers,
- apply the systematic sampling method on a frame to obtain a sample with a given size,
- calculate the size of each stratum when applying the stratified sampling method,
- identify the advantages and disadvantages of the simple random, systematic, and stratified sampling methods,
- identify the sampling method used in a study,
- choose a suitable sampling method for a given study.
Students should already be familiar with
- choosing between a census (population) and a sample,
- sampling units and sampling frames,
- the importance of the sample size.
Students will not cover
- the cluster sampling method,
- nonrandom sampling methods.