Lesson Plan: Identifying Odd and Even Numbers: Pairing or Grouping Mathematics • 2nd Grade
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to use models to determine whether a number within 20 is even or odd and describe numbers as even or odd.
Students will be able to
- pair objects to determine whether a given number of objects is odd or even,
- make two equal groups of objects to determine whether a given number of objects is odd or even,
- make and complete true statements about even and odd numbers and models.
Students should already be familiar with
- numbers within 20,
- grouping objects by twos.
Students will not cover
- adding or subtracting odd and even numbers,
- identifying even and odd numbers by examining the ones digit,
- identifying even and odd numbers by skip counting,
- identifying even and odd numbers without a visual or model,
- numbers greater than 20.