Lesson Plan: Ions Science
This lesson plan includes the objectives, prerequisites, and exclusions of the lesson teaching students how to describe ions, write symbols for ions, and predict whether an atom will form a positive or negative ion.
Students will be able to
- describe positive and negative ions and explain the difference between them,
- identify and write the notation to indicate ions and their charges,
- state how metal atoms lose electrons to form positive ions,
- state how nonmetal atoms gain electrons to form negative ions,
- draw or write the electronic configurations of ions,
- identify ions and their charge from electronic configurations,
- describe the number of electrons an atom needs to gain or lose to form a full outer level.
Students should already be familiar with
- electronic configuration,
- electrons and energy levels.
Students will not cover
- ions of transition metals,
- ionic bonding.